-   -   Finding problem source causing "Your formula contains an invalid external reference to a worksheet" message (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-programming/389233-finding-problem-source-causing-your-formula-contains-invalid-external-reference-worksheet-message.html)

Chrisso

Finding problem source causing "Your formula contains an invalid external reference to a worksheet" message

Hi there

I was deleting some rows on an old spreadsheet I have been asked to
work on when suddenly I am confronted with the following message:

"Your formula contains an invalid external reference to a
worksheet ... <snip"

The menu item "Edit - Links" is greyed out and I have run a link
searcher (I found in this group) and cannot find any external links.

Is there way of finding the cell(s) that are causing the problem?

Chrisso

Chrisso

Finding problem source causing "Your formula contains an invalid external reference to a worksheet" message

Scrap that!

The file just needed to be closed and re-opened. I guess Excel got
confused.

Cheers
Chrisso

JLGWhiz

Finding problem source causing "Your formula contains an inval

To check and see if there is a worksheet change event that triggered the
message,
just right click on the worksheet tab at the bottom of the screen, then in
the pop-up menu box, click on view code. If you see code that starts with:

Private Sub Worksheet_Change()

Then that is the culprit. Otherwise, there was probably a formula in one of
the cells you deleted that referenced an external link and was triggered by
the delete event.