-   -   DSUM vs. SUMPRODUCT (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-programming/388428-dsum-vs-sumproduct.html)

matelot

DSUM vs. SUMPRODUCT

I found out recently that the function DSUM acts the same way as SUMPRODUCT.
They both can produce the same result. I've been using SUMPRODUCT for all
this times and I was wondering if there's benefit to use 1 vs. the other. Is
one more optimized that the other?

Any insight would help.
Thanks.

JMay

DSUM vs. SUMPRODUCT

I've heard that the DSum() command requires considerably less memory.

"matelot" wrote:

I found out recently that the function DSUM acts the same way as SUMPRODUCT.
They both can produce the same result. I've been using SUMPRODUCT for all
this times and I was wondering if there's benefit to use 1 vs. the other. Is
one more optimized that the other?

Any insight would help.
Thanks.

matelot

DSUM vs. SUMPRODUCT

I did a test with large dataset to see if one is faster than the other.
SUMPRODUCT came up faster than DSUM. That might explain that SUMPRODUCT may
load the entire dataset into RAM whereas DSUM fetches the record externally.