-   -   password recovery (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-programming/388031-password-recovery.html)

Steve

password recovery

I had an old worksheet that I needed to unprotect, but forgot the password.
Through this forum, I found some code that was unable to unlock the sheet.
After running the code, a message box said, "one possible password is
"-----".

I've read that excel stores the password as a hash, so you can't recover the
actual password. My question is this:

How many different passwords can one hash represent? In other words, would
it be possible for me to generate a table with a bunch of "possible"
passwords that this hash could represent?

JE McGimpsey

password recovery

Each of the 194K hashes could potentially represent an infinite number
of passwords. It would certainly be possible to generate a table of
hashes to passwords, but it wouldn't be complete...

In article ,
steve wrote:

I had an old worksheet that I needed to unprotect, but forgot the password.
Through this forum, I found some code that was unable to unlock the sheet.
After running the code, a message box said, "one possible password is
"-----".

I've read that excel stores the password as a hash, so you can't recover the
actual password. My question is this:

How many different passwords can one hash represent? In other words, would
it be possible for me to generate a table with a bunch of "possible"
passwords that this hash could represent?

FSt1

password recovery

hi.
why not just remove the passwordand assign another.
http://www.cpearson.com/excel/password.htm
http://www.mcgimpsey.com/excel/removepwords.html
just a suggestion.

Regards