-   -   Stop (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-programming/387264-stop.html)

StargateFan[_3_]

Stop

I always seem to come across interesting things as I make up new
workbooks. I'm using the following code to allow user to step to the
left:

ActiveCell.Offset(0, -1).Select

Butt when user gets to A1, if the button is pushed again by accident,
an error box comes up because the first cell is reached:

Run-time error '1004': Application-defined or object-defined error

Is there any way to stop this error popping up? Any advice re this?
Even a message saying "you can't go any further to the left", heck,
whatever works <g.

Thanks. :oD

Gary Keramidas

Stop

maybe this

Sub test()
If ActiveCell.Column < 1 Then
ActiveCell.Offset(0, -1).Select
End If
end sub
--

Gary

"StargateFan" wrote in message
I always seem to come across interesting things as I make up new
workbooks. I'm using the following code to allow user to step to the
left:

ActiveCell.Offset(0, -1).Select

Butt when user gets to A1, if the button is pushed again by accident,
an error box comes up because the first cell is reached:

Run-time error '1004': Application-defined or object-defined error

Is there any way to stop this error popping up? Any advice re this?
Even a message saying "you can't go any further to the left", heck,
whatever works <g.

Thanks. :oD

NickHK

Stop

You have 2 options:
- Check where the active cell is first.
If ActiveCell.Column 1 Then ActiveCell.Offset(0, -1).Select

- Do it anyway and ignore the error, as (in this case) no damage is done or
propagated by the error.
On Error Resume Next
ActiveCell.Offset(0, -1).Select
On Error GoTo 0

NickHK

"StargateFan" wrote in message
I always seem to come across interesting things as I make up new
workbooks. I'm using the following code to allow user to step to the
left:

ActiveCell.Offset(0, -1).Select

Butt when user gets to A1, if the button is pushed again by accident,
an error box comes up because the first cell is reached:

Run-time error '1004': Application-defined or object-defined error

Is there any way to stop this error popping up? Any advice re this?
Even a message saying "you can't go any further to the left", heck,
whatever works <g.

Thanks. :oD

StargateFan[_3_]

Stop

On Thu, 12 Apr 2007 00:21:55 -0400, "Gary Keramidas"
<GKeramidasATmsn.com wrote:

maybe this

Sub test()
If ActiveCell.Column < 1 Then
ActiveCell.Offset(0, -1).Select
End If
end sub

Super. It seems to work perfectly. I keep going left till it stops
yet no error comes up which is great.

Thanks. :oD

Gary

"StargateFan" wrote in message
.. .
I always seem to come across interesting things as I make up new
workbooks. I'm using the following code to allow user to step to the
left:

ActiveCell.Offset(0, -1).Select

Butt when user gets to A1, if the button is pushed again by accident,
an error box comes up because the first cell is reached:

Run-time error '1004': Application-defined or object-defined error

Is there any way to stop this error popping up? Any advice re this?
Even a message saying "you can't go any further to the left", heck,
whatever works <g.

Thanks. :oD

StargateFan[_3_]

Stop

On Thu, 12 Apr 2007 12:31:55 +0800, "NickHK"
wrote:

You have 2 options:
- Check where the active cell is first.
If ActiveCell.Column 1 Then ActiveCell.Offset(0, -1).Select

- Do it anyway and ignore the error, as (in this case) no damage is done or
propagated by the error.
On Error Resume Next
ActiveCell.Offset(0, -1).Select
On Error GoTo 0

Thanks!

What is the difference, pls, between the 2nd code above and Gary's
solution?

[...]

The 2nd option executes the code anyway, but any error raised is simply
ignored and code continues.

In Gary's code, the potentially error causing is not executed if it would
raise an error.

NickHK