-   -   Data validation dependent on value in another cell. (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-programming/386716-data-validation-dependent-value-another-cell.html)

Gubawatts

Data validation dependent on value in another cell.

I would like to limit the input into a cell (y or n), based on the value in
the cell above it, (also y or n). So if one cell contains "y", then the user
cannot input "y" into the other cell. I'm familiar with data validation,
just not sure of the proper syntax to use.

Thanks.

Bob Phillips

Data validation dependent on value in another cell.

Assuming the cells are F1 and F2, and you are setting up F2, use DV with a
Custom type and a formula of

=AND(OR(F2="Y",F2="N"),F2<F1)

--
HTH

Bob

"Gubawatts" wrote in message
I would like to limit the input into a cell (y or n), based on the value in
the cell above it, (also y or n). So if one cell contains "y", then the
user
cannot input "y" into the other cell. I'm familiar with data validation,
just not sure of the proper syntax to use.

Thanks.

Gubawatts

Data validation dependent on value in another cell.

Thanks Bob.