-   -   Comparing two lists and removing duplicatations (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-programming/384713-comparing-two-lists-removing-duplicatations.html)

Alan M

Comparing two lists and removing duplicatations

I have 2 workbooks each containing long lists of names and addresses.

I need to compare the surname in column B and the first line of the address
in column D of workbook 1 with the list in workbook 2 (columns C and D). If
the same info occurs in workbook 2 I want to delete the entire line from that
list.

Can you help please?

Dave Peterson

Comparing two lists and removing duplicatations

I would use a helper column that concatenated the two fields into one:

in both files.

Then I'd be able to base my comparisons on just one column.

Then I'd visit Chip Pearson's site:
http://www.cpearson.com/excel/duplicat.htm

He has lots of techniques to work with duplicates:

--

Dave Peterson