-   -   Conditional Formating... (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-programming/384123-conditional-formating.html)

smonczka

Conditional Formating...

Does anyone know how to use wildcards with Conditional Formating?

I need to highlight all ROWS in a spreadsheet CONTAINING the word
"Total".

Normaly I would use conditional formating with the following
formula ....

Formula is =$A1="Total" but this will only pick up exact matches.

Thanks,
Steve

Dave Peterson

Conditional Formating...

formula is:
=countif(a1,"*total*")0

is one way.

formula is:
=search("total",a1)
or
=find("total",a1)

(find is case sensitive--search is not.)

--

Dave Peterson

smonczka

Conditional Formating...

Dave, thank you very much. That worked perfectly.

Steve

Tom Ogilvy

Conditional Formating...

=countif($A1,"*total*")=1

Tom Ogilvy

"smonczka" wrote:

Does anyone know how to use wildcards with Conditional Formating?

I need to highlight all ROWS in a spreadsheet CONTAINING the word
"Total".

Normaly I would use conditional formating with the following
formula ....

Formula is =$A1="Total" but this will only pick up exact matches.

Thanks,
Steve

smonczka

Conditional Formating...

Tom and Peter, thanks both of you. I ended up using
=countif($A1,"*total*")0 as the conditional formula. For all those
who might be having the same problem the $A1 highlights the entire row
where and cell in column A contains the word total.

But what I dont understand is the addition of 0 or =1 to the formula,
what does that do?

Thanks again guys.
Steve

Tom Ogilvy

Conditional Formating...

Actually, you shouldn't need the 0 or =0. Any non zero number will be seen
as True and zero as false. so
=COUNTIF($A1,"*total*")

should work fine. However, it seems more expanatory to include 0 or =1,
but I guess not for you.

Tom Ogilvy

oups.com...