Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Excel VBA - COM

Hello all,

First of all, thanks in advance for reading this post - hopefully
it'll make sense...

We've got a bit of a problem here that we hope you can help us with.
We've just developed a COM automation add-in in Visual Studio 2005 to
replace an XLA add in. To ease the conversion, we named most of the
functions exported by the COM library to the same name as those in the
XLA file.

However, our problem is that on removing the XLA file and adding in
the COM automation add-in to a workbook, the excel spreadsheets cannot
reference the new method calls which have the same name as the old
calls in the XLA.

If we create a new worksheet and add in the automation item, then the
calls work fine.

For example, the UDF call CBSpot existed in the XLA. When we remove
the XLA and add in the automation DLL CBSpot can't be resolved.
However, if we fully qualify it (PricingLib.Connect.CBSpot) then it
will work, but Excel will then automatically remove the ProgID (change
it back to CBSpot), and the call will then fail.

What we think is that somehow, the old XLA is still known of by the
workbook and that is what is referenced.

Any help would be most appreciated, since we're at the end of our
tether here!

Cheers,

Dave Thompson
Commerzbank AG, London Branch