-   -   Outlook attachments (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-programming/383905-outlook-attachments.html)

Frederick Lorca

Outlook attachments

Each Monday I run a VBA generated office inventory report in Excel. Each
employee's inventory is output to a separate worksheet tabbed with his or
her name. The VBA code includes a procedure that attaches each employee's
report to an Outlook e-mail. I've been running this program successfully
for a while now. Occasionally I attach a second file to everyones' report
when I consider it strategic or desirable to disseminate information that
way.

My question is this: I want to know if it's possible to force the
recipients of the e-mailed reports to open one file first. For example, if
the e-mail includes two attached files named ABC.xls and XYZ.doc and I want
each employee to open the XYZ file first, is there a way to programmatically
generate an error message denying access to the ABC file until the XYZ has
been opened?

Frederick Lorca

joel

Outlook attachments

When the file that you want to open first , I would automatically generate a
temp file either in the users My Document directory or in the temporary IE
directory. The 2nd file should automatically check to see if the temp file
exists and generate an error message if it doesn't. Include the date and
timestamp in the temp filename.

"Frederick Lorca" wrote:

[...]

Thanks for your reply. I figured out a way to accomplish my objective.
Each *.xls file will be saved with a unique password = to the employee's ID
number, which I pull from one of the cells in the report. The Outlook
message will alert the employees that their inventory report is password
protected and that they must open the *.doc file and read it to learn the
password needed to open the *.xls file.

Frederick Lorca