-   -   Can I use the result of an array calculation inside a regular formula? (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-programming/383455-can-i-use-result-array-calculation-inside-regular-formula.html)

[email protected]

Can I use the result of an array calculation inside a regular formula?

I know I can do an array calculation in one cell (for example A1) and
reference A1 in a normal formula. However, is it possible to have the
array formula inside the normal formula? I hope that made sense.

TIA

Bob Phillips

Can I use the result of an array calculation inside a regular formula?

I think that it is.

Can you give more details of the problem, and we can address it directly
rather than trying to interpret what you are saying.

--
---
HTH

Bob

ups.com...

On Feb 18, 4:49 am, "Bob Phillips" wrote:
I think that it is.

Can you give more details of the problem, and we can address it directly
rather than trying to interpret what you are saying.

--
---
HTH

Bob

wrote in message

ups.com...

I know I can do an array calculation in one cell (for example A1) and
reference A1 in a normal formula. However, is it possible to have the
array formula inside the normal formula? I hope that made sense.

TIA

Ok. I want to use the result of
{=MAX((ISNUMBER(SEARCH(B1,A2:A7)))*ROW(A2:A7))} (btw B1 is a text
string and the result of the is the number 5 in my case). I want to
use this number 5 as part of a range in another formula. For example,
=sum("D"&5:D25).

[email protected]

On Feb 18, 8:34 am, wrote:
On Feb 18, 4:49 am, "Bob Phillips" wrote:

I think that it is.

Can you give more details of the problem, and we can address it directly
rather than trying to interpret what you are saying.

--
---
HTH

Bob

wrote in message

oups.com...

I know I can do an array calculation in one cell (for example A1) and
reference A1 in a normal formula. However, is it possible to have the
array formula inside the normal formula? I hope that made sense.

TIA

Ok. I want to use the result of
{=MAX((ISNUMBER(SEARCH(B1,A2:A7)))*ROW(A2:A7))} (btw B1 is a text
string and the result of the is the number 5 in my case). I want to
use this number 5 as part of a range in another formula. For example,
=sum("D"&5:D25).

I want the array formula inside the sum formula like this
=sum("D"&{MAX((ISNUMBER(SEARCH(B1,A2:A7)))*ROW(A2: A7))}:D25).

Tom Ogilvy

Can I use the result of an array calculation inside a regular formula?

=SUM(INDIRECT("D"&MAX(ISNUMBER(SEARCH(B1,A2:A7))*R OW(A2:A7))&":D25"))

entered with Ctrl+Shift+Enter since the whole formula must be treated as an
array formula

worked for me.
Tom Ogilvy

wrote in message
ups.com...
On Feb 18, 8:34 am, wrote:
On Feb 18, 4:49 am, "Bob Phillips" wrote:

I think that it is.

Can you give more details of the problem, and we can address it
directly
rather than trying to interpret what you are saying.

--
---
HTH

Bob

addy)

oups.com...

On Feb 18, 9:35 am, "Tom Ogilvy" wrote:
=SUM(INDIRECT("D"&MAX(ISNUMBER(SEARCH(B1,A2:A7))*R OW(A2:A7))&":D25"))

entered with Ctrl+Shift+Enter since the whole formula must be treated as an
array formula

worked for me.
Tom Ogilvy

wrote in message

ups.com...

On Feb 18, 8:34 am, wrote:
On Feb 18, 4:49 am, "Bob Phillips" wrote:

I think that it is.

Can you give more details of the problem, and we can address it
directly
rather than trying to interpret what you are saying.

--
---
HTH

Bob

addy)

wrote in message

oups.com...

I know I can do an array calculation in one cell (for example A1) and
reference A1 in a normal formula. However, is it possible to have
the
array formula inside the normal formula? I hope that made sense.

TIA

Ok. I want to use the result of
{=MAX((ISNUMBER(SEARCH(B1,A2:A7)))*ROW(A2:A7))} (btw B1 is a text
string and the result of the is the number 5 in my case). I want to
use this number 5 as part of a range in another formula. For example,
=sum("D"&5:D25).

I want the array formula inside the sum formula like this
=sum("D"&{MAX((ISNUMBER(SEARCH(B1,A2:A7)))*ROW(A2: A7))}:D25).

So I take it it's not possible to have an array formula inside a
normal formula?

Tom Ogilvy

Can I use the result of an array calculation inside a regular formula?

Why would you say that - I just showed you how. If you mean without
entering the whole formuila as an array formula - only the ones that will
work with sumproduct - but in my opinion, sumproduct used this way is an
array formula (just doesn't require array entry).

Not sure what the big hang up is with array formulas.

Tom Ogilvy

wrote in message
oups.com...
On Feb 18, 9:35 am, "Tom Ogilvy" wrote:
=SUM(INDIRECT("D"&MAX(ISNUMBER(SEARCH(B1,A2:A7))*R OW(A2:A7))&":D25"))

entered with Ctrl+Shift+Enter since the whole formula must be treated as
an
array formula

worked for me.
Tom Ogilvy

wrote in message

ups.com...

On Feb 18, 8:34 am, wrote:
On Feb 18, 4:49 am, "Bob Phillips" wrote:

I think that it is.

Can you give more details of the problem, and we can address it
directly
rather than trying to interpret what you are saying.

--
---
HTH

Bob

(there's no email, no snail mail, but somewhere should be gmail in
my
addy)

oups.com...

On Feb 18, 5:31 pm, "Tom Ogilvy" wrote:
Why would you say that - I just showed you how. If you mean without
entering the whole formuila as an array formula - only the ones that will
work with sumproduct - but in my opinion, sumproduct used this way is an
array formula (just doesn't require array entry).

Not sure what the big hang up is with array formulas.

Tom Ogilvy

wrote in message

oups.com...

On Feb 18, 9:35 am, "Tom Ogilvy" wrote:
=SUM(INDIRECT("D"&MAX(ISNUMBER(SEARCH(B1,A2:A7))*R OW(A2:A7))&":D25"))

entered with Ctrl+Shift+Enter since the whole formula must be treated as
an
array formula

worked for me.
Tom Ogilvy

wrote in message

roups.com...

On Feb 18, 8:34 am, wrote:
On Feb 18, 4:49 am, "Bob Phillips" wrote:

I think that it is.

Can you give more details of the problem, and we can address it
directly
rather than trying to interpret what you are saying.

--
---
HTH

Bob

(there's no email, no snail mail, but somewhere should be gmail in
my
addy)

wrote in message

oups.com...

I know I can do an array calculation in one cell (for example A1)
and
reference A1 in a normal formula. However, is it possible to have
the
array formula inside the normal formula? I hope that made sense.

TIA

Ok. I want to use the result of
{=MAX((ISNUMBER(SEARCH(B1,A2:A7)))*ROW(A2:A7))} (btw B1 is a text
string and the result of the is the number 5 in my case). I want to
use this number 5 as part of a range in another formula. For example,
=sum("D"&5:D25).

I want the array formula inside the sum formula like this
=sum("D"&{MAX((ISNUMBER(SEARCH(B1,A2:A7)))*ROW(A2: A7))}:D25).

So I take it it's not possible to have an array formula inside a
normal formula?

Yes, I mean without entering the whole formula as an array. Can you
show me how to enter the above formula using Sumproduct? I tried it
and it didn't give the correct result.

Thanks!

Tom Ogilvy

Can I use the result of an array calculation inside a regular formula?

No, sumproduct only handles a small but significant subset of array
formulas.

Tom Ogilvy

wrote in message
oups.com...
On Feb 18, 5:31 pm, "Tom Ogilvy" wrote:
Why would you say that - I just showed you how. If you mean without
entering the whole formuila as an array formula - only the ones that will
work with sumproduct - but in my opinion, sumproduct used this way is an
array formula (just doesn't require array entry).

Not sure what the big hang up is with array formulas.

Tom Ogilvy

wrote in message

oups.com...

On Feb 18, 9:35 am, "Tom Ogilvy" wrote:
=SUM(INDIRECT("D"&MAX(ISNUMBER(SEARCH(B1,A2:A7))*R OW(A2:A7))&":D25"))

entered with Ctrl+Shift+Enter since the whole formula must be treated
as
an
array formula

worked for me.
Tom Ogilvy

wrote in message

roups.com...

On Feb 18, 8:34 am, wrote:
On Feb 18, 4:49 am, "Bob Phillips" wrote:

I think that it is.

Can you give more details of the problem, and we can address it
directly
rather than trying to interpret what you are saying.

--
---
HTH

Bob

(there's no email, no snail mail, but somewhere should be gmail
in
my
addy)

oups.com...

On Feb 18, 8:22 pm, "Tom Ogilvy" wrote:
No, sumproduct only handles a small but significant subset of array
formulas.

Tom Ogilvy

wrote in message

oups.com...

On Feb 18, 5:31 pm, "Tom Ogilvy" wrote:
Why would you say that - I just showed you how. If you mean without
entering the whole formuila as an array formula - only the ones that will
work with sumproduct - but in my opinion, sumproduct used this way is an
array formula (just doesn't require array entry).

Not sure what the big hang up is with array formulas.

Tom Ogilvy

wrote in message

groups.com...

On Feb 18, 9:35 am, "Tom Ogilvy" wrote:
=SUM(INDIRECT("D"&MAX(ISNUMBER(SEARCH(B1,A2:A7))*R OW(A2:A7))&":D25"))

entered with Ctrl+Shift+Enter since the whole formula must be treated
as
an
array formula

worked for me.
Tom Ogilvy

wrote in message

roups.com...

On Feb 18, 8:34 am, wrote:
On Feb 18, 4:49 am, "Bob Phillips" wrote:

I think that it is.

Can you give more details of the problem, and we can address it
directly
rather than trying to interpret what you are saying.

--
---
HTH

Bob

(there's no email, no snail mail, but somewhere should be gmail
in
my
addy)

wrote in message

oups.com...

[...]

Thanks!- Hide quoted text -

Thanks for the help. I got my formula worked out.