-   -   Is FIle Open (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-programming/383217-file-open.html)

Gary''s Student

Is FIle Open

We have a .xls file on a server. Is there any way to determine if another
user has the file open before trying to open it myself?
--
Gary's Student
gsnu200706

Bob Phillips

Is FIle Open

Function IsFileOpen(FileName As String)
Dim iFilenum As Long
Dim iErr As Long

On Error Resume Next
iFilenum = FreeFile()
Open FileName For Input Lock Read As #iFilenum
Close iFilenum
iErr = Err
On Error GoTo 0

Select Case iErr
Case 0: IsFileOpen = False
Case 70: IsFileOpen = True
Case Else: Error iErr
End Select

End Function

Sub test()
If Not IsFileOpen("C:\MyTest\volker2.xls") Then
Workbooks.Open "C:\MyTest\volker2.xls"

HTH

Bob Phillips

"Gary''s Student" wrote in message
We have a .xls file on a server. Is there any way to determine if another
user has the file open before trying to open it myself?
--
Gary's Student
gsnu200706

Gary''s Student