-   -   Read File From URL (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-programming/382150-read-file-url.html)

[email protected]

Read File From URL

Hi. I've done this before, maybe back in 1999 or so, but have
forgotten how and can't find the xls file with the macros. It was
rather simple as I recall, but may have just been reading and
processing a csv file for stock information. Anyway, I'm using Excel
2003 at the moment.

I am looking for a way to build a querystring from cell values (no
problem), read a file from the resultant URL, then extract some values
and populate other cells (not really a problem). The trouble spot is
the reading from a URL, plus a snag. The URL points to a frameset. One
frame contains XML which has some of the data I want. (I can't just
read the inner frame directly because that URL is built by the
containing frameset.)

So how can I
a. read a URL to get the frameset and the included URL for the inner
XML document;
b. read the XML doc from the URL I retrieved in (a)?

Any help is appreciated! Thanks! -bill