-   -   Count the number of characters created by string text (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-programming/381506-count-number-characters-created-string-text.html)

[email protected]

Count the number of characters created by string text

Is there a formula that will count the number of characters, and spaces
between characters, in a short paragraph created by a string text? It
is acceptible if spaces cannot be counted. Thanks.

Michael

Jason Lepack

Count the number of characters created by string text

You have to give an example, becuase your description is very cryptic.

Show a sample string of text, illustrate the characters that ou want
the space between, and the expected result.

Cheers,
Jason Lepack

wrote:
Is there a formula that will count the number of characters, and spaces
between characters, in a short paragraph created by a string text? It
is acceptible if spaces cannot be counted. Thanks.

Michael

JE McGimpsey

Count the number of characters created by string text

One way:

=LEN(A1)

will count all the characters in cell A1.

=LEN(A1) - LEN(SUBSTITUTE(A1," ",""))

will count all the non-space characters in A1

In article . com,
wrote:

Is there a formula that will count the number of characters, and spaces
between characters, in a short paragraph created by a string text? It
is acceptible if spaces cannot be counted. Thanks.

Michael

[email protected]

Count the number of characters created by string text

For example, if cell A1="Dogs bark in the night." and B1="But cats are
quiet.", and if I wanted the two to string I would use the formula:

=A1&" "&A2

This would give the the short paragraph: Dogs bark in the night. But
cats are quiet. What I need to do is count the characters in the
statement, along with spaces if possible. In this case, there are 34
characters and 9 spaces if 2 are counted between the sentences. I'm
hoping to find a formula that will do the count automatically. Thanks.

Michael

[email protected]

Count the number of characters created by string text

Thank you JE. I'll give it a try.

Michael

[email protected]

Count the number of characters created by string text

Thanks JE. It's exactly what I was looking for.

Michael

JE McGimpsey

Count the number of characters created by string text

One way:

Assume the concatenation is in C1:

="There are " & LEN(SUBSTITUTE(C1," ","")) & " characters and " &
LEN(C1)-LEN(SUBSTITUTE(C1," ","")) & " spaces."