-   -   formula help needed for averages (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-programming/380921-re-formula-help-needed-averages.html)

[email protected]

formula help needed for averages

Or, if you prefer an "unsimple" approach, here's some code that'll do
the same thing (just pass a reference to your range into it):

Public Function AverageTheCells(objRange As Range)

Dim nCell As Integer
Dim lTotal As Long
Dim nDenominator As Integer
Dim lAverage As Long

For nCell = 1 To objRange.Cells.Count
If objRange.Cells(nCell, 1).Value 0 Then
nDenominator = nDenominator + 1
lTotal = lTotal + objRange.Cells(nCell, 1).Value
End If
Next nCell

If nDenominator 0 Then AverageTheCells = lTotal / nDenominator

End Function

Alok wrote:
Use countif

=COUNTIF(A1:A5,"0")

"phil-rge-ee" wrote:

I have a cells C21 thru C45 that have numbers in them. I need to add them all
together and then divide by the number of cells that have a number greater
than 0 in them. This would be used to get an average number. If the cell is 0
then I don't want to include it in the dividing process. Example:
C21 is 5
C22 is 3
C23 is 0
C24 is 7
C25 is 0

I would need the formula or VB script to add the numbers then divide by 3
(not divide by 5 - eliminating the cells with 0 in them) So the answer in the
example here would be 5, not 3. (15 divided by 3).
Thanks for any help.

Phil