-   -   What's causing this? (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-programming/380479-re-whats-causing.html)

Gord Dibben

What's causing this?

Karen

How are you opening the workbook(s)?

If from a shortcut, append /e to the command line to stop Book1 from opening.

"C:\PROGRAM FILES\MICROSOFT OFFICE\OFFICE\EXCEL.EXE" /e

Note the <space before the /e

If opening by just double-click on a file................

Go to StartSettingsControl PanelFolder OptionsFile Types

If using WinXP OS you would scroll down to .XLS then "Advanced"OpenEdit.

In Command line the path should be similar to this....

"C:\PROGRAM FILES\MICROSOFT OFFICE\OFFICE11\EXCEL.EXE" /e

You must have the double quotes.

Below have "use DDE" checked and this in the DDE message box....[open("%1")]

Application should read "Excel"(no quotes)

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Wed, 3 Jan 2007 08:52:00 -0800, Karen
wrote:

I have several macros in a workbook. I open excel (and Book 1 opens), then
the file w/ the macros; Book 1 stays open behind it and I believe it's
messing up the macros.

When I open the file from another computer this does not happen, however.
It seems like the macros are working ok on other computers. How can I
prevent book 1 from remaining in the background?