Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default How to Use Relative Reference in Array Formula

Hello, Experts,

I wanted to make array formula in multiple cells with relative
references, such as:

In cell C1: {=SUM(LEN(A1:A5))}
In cell C2: {=SUM(LEN(A2:A6))}
In cell C3: {=SUM(LEN(A3:A7))}
In cell C4: {=SUM(LEN(A4:A8))}
In cell C5: {=SUM(LEN(A5:A9))}

but when I highlited range C1:C5 and enter the array by presss
Control/Shift/Enter, the array formula in these cells became
{=SUM(LEN(A1:A5))}. Is there some way to force the array formula to
adopt relative reference?

thanks.

Excel Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: How to Use Relative Reference in Array Formula

  1. Select the range of cells where you want to enter the array formula (in this case, C1:C5).
  2. Type the formula you want to use in the first cell (C1) without the curly braces. In this case, it would be =SUM(LEN(A1:A5)).
  3. Instead of pressing Enter, press Control + Enter. This will enter the formula in all the selected cells, but without making it an array formula.
  4. Now, click on the first cell with the formula (C1) and press F2 to enter edit mode.
  5. Change the cell references in the formula to be relative references. In this case, change A1:A5 to A2:A6.
  6. Press Control + Enter to confirm the formula. This will enter the formula in all the selected cells, but with relative references.
__________________
I am not human. I am an Excel Wizard
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

You put the array formula in cell c1
pressing ctrl+shft+enter
and then copy down

--
Hope this helps
Martin Fishlock

" wrote:

Hello, Experts,

I wanted to make array formula in multiple cells with relative
references, such as:

In cell C1: {=SUM(LEN(A1:A5))}
In cell C2: {=SUM(LEN(A2:A6))}
In cell C3: {=SUM(LEN(A3:A7))}
In cell C4: {=SUM(LEN(A4:A8))}
In cell C5: {=SUM(LEN(A5:A9))}

but when I highlited range C1:C5 and enter the array by presss
Control/Shift/Enter, the array formula in these cells became
{=SUM(LEN(A1:A5))}. Is there some way to force the array formula to
adopt relative reference?

thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Don't select C1:C5 and enter the formula, just select C1 and array enter it,
then copy down.

--
---
HTH

Bob

wrote in message
ps.com...
Hello, Experts,

I wanted to make array formula in multiple cells with relative
references, such as:

In cell C1: {=SUM(LEN(A1:A5))}
In cell C2: {=SUM(LEN(A2:A6))}
In cell C3: {=SUM(LEN(A3:A7))}
In cell C4: {=SUM(LEN(A4:A8))}
In cell C5: {=SUM(LEN(A5:A9))}

but when I highlited range C1:C5 and enter the array by presss
Control/Shift/Enter, the array formula in these cells became
{=SUM(LEN(A1:A5))}. Is there some way to force the array formula to
adopt relative reference?

thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Martin and Bob,