-   -   What DDE topic returns the currently open file? (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-programming/378975-re-what-dde-topic-returns-currently-open-file.html)

Peter T

What DDE topic returns the currently open file?

I'd like to know that myself!

As a workaround I use "Selection" which returns something like

"[myBook.xls]!R1C1"

then I get the filename between the brackets

Regards,
Peter T

"The Chemist" <The wrote in message
I developed an application years ago that uses DDE to converse with Excel.

used to be able to send a DDE request using the topic "TOPICS", and it

would
return a string that contained the name of the spreadsheet file that was
currently open. Now, this command returns an error with Excel 2003. Any
ideas??

Peter T

What DDE topic returns the currently open file?

Typo -

"[myBook.xls]!R1C1"

missed the sheet name -

"[myBook.xls]Sheet1!R1C1"