-   -   How to automatically generate excel files at the web server? (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-programming/378883-how-automatically-generate-excel-files-web-server.html)

Maxwell2006

How to automatically generate excel files at the web server?

Hi,

We have Excel 2003 templates and we need to automatically generate excel
2003 xls files based on our SQL server database tables' data. Since we need
to generate the xls files at out web server side, I assume we cannot use
excel automation based on the license agreement.

What would b the best way to do that?

Any help would be appreciated,
Max

NickHK

How to automatically generate excel files at the web server?

One option would be to use one of the many classes/dlls that can generate
Excel files. That way you do not need Excel installed at all on the server.
However, you will limited somewhat in the complexity of files you can
create, but examining the required Excel file format would let you extend
the class - if you feel so inclined.

OpenOffice can save in Excel format. Don't know about the license conditions
though.

NickHK