-   -   Mail Merge/Data Entry question (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-programming/378777-re-mail-merge-data-entry-question.html)

Nick Hodge

Mail Merge/Data Entry question

Liz

I suspect it's not as simple as this as names seldom are, but if they are,
highlight them and go to DataText to columns..., use delimited on the first
screen,comma on the next and finish. This will separate them into two
columns based on the comma

Post back if, as I suspect, it's not quite as simple as your example

--
HTH
Nick Hodge

"Liz-In-USA" wrote in message
I have "inherited" a spreadhseet with about 350 names & addresses that's
being used for a mail merge. If it is currently set up with last name &
first name in the same cell, is there a way to "train" or program Excel so
that they are in two separate cells?

For example:
What I have:
Smith, Brad (all in one cell w/header NAME)

What I want:
Smith (in one cell w/header L_NAME) Brad (in separate cell w/header
F_NAME)

thanks,
Liz