Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Paste results not as expected

First post, so please be gentle on me!!

I have a workbook with data exported from another DB which contain a mixture
of dates number and times. These are mixed within the same columns.

If I try to copy and paste to another worksheet or workbook within the same
instance of excel the dates are not pasted as dates (even if I use paste
special and select values only). The dates are formatted to the left by
default.

I have got around this by opening another copy of excel and then using paste
special which gives me an entirley different dialog box and then I select
text or csv as the paste special format. Thsi gives me dates as dates
(formatted to the right by default)

So far so good, but now I want to automate the copy ansd paste special

I am using

ActiveSheet.PasteSpecial Format:="Text", Link:=False, DisplayAsIcon:= _
False
This gives the original error of the dates not being true dates. Now they
are formatted to the left by default and any calulation using the dates fails.

The macro was recorded and does not work despite the fact that the original
action that created the macro worked.

Any suggestions?