-   -   How are actual file location of VBA References treated? (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-programming/375672-how-actual-file-location-vba-references-treated.html)

Nicholas Dreyer

How are actual file location of VBA References treated?

The "ROOT" folders below are all locations on a Novell server.

A workbook with full pathname

<PERSONAL_ROOT\ResearchandDevelopement\WholesaleR evenue\application.xls

contains a VBA library reference to

<PERSONAL_ROOT\ResearchandDevelopement\library.xl s

Next I copy application.xls and library.xls repectively to folders
(shared by other users)

<SHARED_ROOT\ResearchandDevelopement\WholesaleRev enue\application.xls
and
<SHARED_ROOT\ResearchandDevelopement\library.xl s

When I then open application.xls, the original library in

<PERSONAL_ROOT\ResearchandDevelopement\library.xl s

is picked up. This seems logical enough: The reference information
appears to store the full path of the library.

However, if another user with access to the shared folder but NOT to
my personal folder <PERSONAL_ROOT\ResearchandDevelopement\
opens the exact same copy of application.xls they end up with the
following copy of library.xls opened by the reference in
application.xls:

<SHARED_ROOT\ResearchandDevelopement\library.xl s

This would imply that the reference information on the library
includes a relative path to the the location of application.xls, if
the original full path is not accessible.

Does anyone know what the rules are for determining which copy of a
library reference VBA chooses?

Thanks for you insights.

|\|.

Hey you know something people? They won't go for no more
I'm not black, but there's a whole lotsa times Great Midwestern hardware store
I wish I could say I'm not white. Philosophy that turns away
(1965, Frank Zappa in Trouble Every Day From those who aren't afraid to say
- Freak Out) What's on their mind -- The left behinds
Of The Great Society.
(1965, Frank Zappa in Hungry Freaks, Daddy
- Freak Out)