-   -   not necessarily a code question, but (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-programming/375622-not-necessarily-code-question-but.html)

Gary Keramidas

not necessarily a code question, but

i have a workbook with about 300 lines of formulas. i would like to copy them to
another workbook. but when i do, the formulas always link back to the original
workbook. any way around this?

--

Gary

Jim May

not necessarily a code question, but

Gary:

I think the practice is to

Highlight/Select your range (of formulas) and to the Edit, Replace
routine where, say:
In the Find What Box enter =
and in the Replace with $

Then
Copy and paste -- Then reverse Process in the Destination and the Source!!

HTH,
Jim May

"Gary Keramidas" wrote:

i have a workbook with about 300 lines of formulas. i would like to copy them to
another workbook. but when i do, the formulas always link back to the original
workbook. any way around this?

--

Gary

Gary Keramidas

not necessarily a code question, but

ok, thanks for the tip, jim

--

Gary

"Gary Keramidas" wrote:

i have a workbook with about 300 lines of formulas. i would like to copy them
another workbook. but when i do, the formulas always link back to the
original
workbook. any way around this?

--

Gary

JMB

not necessarily a code question, but

Not sure I'd use a $. Consider the formula

=$E$5
becomes
$$E$5

trying to change it back generates an error on my machine.

"Gary Keramidas" wrote:

i have a workbook with about 300 lines of formulas. i would like to copy them to
another workbook. but when i do, the formulas always link back to the original
workbook. any way around this?

--

Gary

Jim May

not necessarily a code question, but

Good Catch JMB; I need to remember that (for next time).
Thanks,
Jim

"Gary Keramidas" wrote:

i have a workbook with about 300 lines of formulas. i would like to copy them to
another workbook. but when i do, the formulas always link back to the original
workbook. any way around this?

--

Gary

Pete_UK

not necessarily a code question, but

You keep the equals sign in there, so you change = to $= (or x=,
whatever you like), then you don't suffer the problem of $$.

Pete

"Gary Keramidas" wrote:

i have a workbook with about 300 lines of formulas. i would like to copy them to
another workbook. but when i do, the formulas always link back to the original
workbook. any way around this?

--

Gary

Gary Keramidas

not necessarily a code question, but

i knew not to use a $, but the character addition was what i needed

--

Gary