-   -   Error from repeated chart copying (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-programming/375498-error-repeated-chart-copying.html)

Pat Wiegand

Error from repeated chart copying

I have an application which repeatedly copies a chart to a new tab in a
workbook, then deletes the new copy after the user has finished. This works
fine for a while but eventually an error results when the copy is attempted.
No further charts can be created until the workbook is closed and re-opened.

The number of successful copies seems to depend on the complexity of the
workbook. For a complex workbook, 42 charts could be made before an error
occurred. For a simpler workbook, 254 was the number. The error is
reproducible:

Make a new workbook and put a chart in it. Run the following code:

Public Sub ChartCopyErrorTest()
Application.DisplayAlerts = False
Do
On Error GoTo printerr
ActiveWorkbook.Sheets("Chart1").Copy
Befo=ActiveWorkbook.Sheets("Sheet1")
On Error GoTo 0
a$ = "This is chart number " & Format(i%)
ActiveChart.Name = a$
ActiveChart.Delete
DoEvents
i% = i% + 1
Loop While i% < 1000

printerr:
MsgBox "Bombed after making this many charts: " & Format(i%)
End Sub

On my machine, the number displayed is 254. Version of Excel is 2002
(10.6789.6811) SP3.

Has anyone else seen this problem, and more importantly, know of a workaround?
--
Pat Wiegand
Ridgewood Visionware

Jim Thomlinson

Error from repeated chart copying

Check out this link...

http://support.microsoft.com/default...84&Product=xlw
--
HTH...

Jim Thomlinson

"Pat Wiegand" wrote:

[...]

Thanks, Jim -- exactly the link I needed. You're awsome!
--
Pat Wiegand
Ridgewood Visionware