-   -   macro to move cell contents and then delete the row (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-programming/374990-macro-move-cell-contents-then-delete-row.html)

mark64

macro to move cell contents and then delete the row

I have a single column of data located in Column A similar as follows:

"Column A" "Column B" "Column 3" "....."

Example1*
* data1
Example2*
* data2
Example3*
* data3

and so on. What I want to do is have a macro to move the contents as follows:

"Column A" "Column B" "Column 3" "....."

Example1* * 1

Example2* * 2

Example3* * 3

Then I want to delete the empty rows where the data used to be. Is this
possible?

Thanks

Ron de Bruin

macro to move cell contents and then delete the row

You can try this with
* data1

starting in row 2 in the A column

This example loop through 100 rows

Sub Testing()
For I = 2 To 100 Step 2
Cells(I, 1).Cut Cells(I - 1, 2)
Next I
On Error Resume Next 'In case there are no blank cells
Columns("A").SpecialCells(xlCellTypeBlanks).Entire Row.Delete
On Error GoTo 0

Regards Ron de Bruin
http://www.rondebruin.nl

"Mark64" wrote in message ...
I have a single column of data located in Column A similar as follows:

"Column A" "Column B" "Column 3" "....."

Example1*
* data1
Example2*
* data2
Example3*
* data3

and so on. What I want to do is have a macro to move the contents as follows:

"Column A" "Column B" "Column 3" "....."

Example1* * 1

Example2* * 2

Example3* * 3

Then I want to delete the empty rows where the data used to be. Is this
possible?

Thanks

Ron de Bruin

macro to move cell contents and then delete the row

Note that I use
Columns("A").SpecialCells(xlCellTypeBlanks).Entire Row.Delete

Change
Columns("A").
To a range if you not want to check the whole column

--
Regards Ron de Bruin
http://www.rondebruin.nl

"Mark64" wrote in message ...
I have a single column of data located in Column A similar as follows:

"Column A" "Column B" "Column 3" "....."

Example1*
* data1
Example2*
* data2
Example3*
* data3

and so on. What I want to do is have a macro to move the contents as follows:

"Column A" "Column B" "Column 3" "....."

Example1* * 1

Example2* * 2

Example3* * 3

Then I want to delete the empty rows where the data used to be. Is this
possible?

Thanks

Ron de Bruin

macro to move cell contents and then delete the row

Like this

lr = is the last cell with a value in A

Sub Testing2()
Dim lr As Long
lr = Range("A" & Rows.Count).End(xlUp).Row

For I = 2 To lr Step 2
Cells(I, 1).Cut Cells(I - 1, 2)
Next I
On Error Resume Next 'In case there are no blank cells
Range(Cells(1, 1), Cells(lr, 1)).SpecialCells(xlCellTypeBlanks).EntireRow.Delet e