-   -   dim objects and dim long (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-programming/373791-dim-objects-dim-long.html)

whylite

dim objects and dim long

I was wondering if someone could explain to me why it is we dim objects and
long. Where is it important to do and why. I have been puzzled by this. I
have read lots trying to figure this out. What it means and the purpose of
it's application I am strugling with.
--
Thanks!
Shane W

Nigel

dim objects and dim long

Its all a matter of memory space and values these variables can
represent.....

A long variable uses 4 bytes and can hold integer values from -2,147,483,648
to 2,147,483,647
as opposed to Integer variables that uses 2 bytes and can hold integer
values from -32,768 to 32,767

Typically Long is used if you intend to refer to worksheet rows, where the
value can run to 65,536

--
Cheers
Nigel

"whylite" wrote in message
I was wondering if someone could explain to me why it is we dim objects and
long. Where is it important to do and why. I have been puzzled by this.
have read lots trying to figure this out. What it means and the purpose
of
it's application I am strugling with.
--
Thanks!
Shane W

Dave Peterson

dim objects and dim long

I do it for a much more selfish reason.

If I add "Option Explicit" to the top of a module (or have the VBE do it for me
via tools|options|Editor tab|check require variable declaration), I know that
most of my typos will stop my code from compiling.

Then I don't have to spend minutes/hours looking at code like this:
ctr1 = ctrl + 1
(One is ctr-one and one is ctr-ell)
trying to find why my counter isn't incrementing.

And if I declare my variables nicely:

Dim wks as worksheet
not
dim wks as object
and not
dim wks as variant

I get to use the VBE's intellisense.

If I use "dim wks as worksheet", then I can type:
wks.
(including the dot)
and the VBE will pop up a list of all the properties and methods that I can
use. It saves time coding (for me anyway).

And one final selfish reason.

If I use a variable like:

Dim ThisIsACounterOfValidResponses as Long

I can type
Thisis
and hit ctrl-space and the VBE will either complete the variable name or give me
a list of things that start with those characters.

And by using a combination of upper and lower case letters in my variables, the
VBE will match the case found in the declaration statement.

ps. From what I've read, if you declare a variable as Integer, the modern pc
will have to spend time converting it to long. So I've stopped using "dim x as
integer". It's safer for me and quicker for the pc.

whylite wrote:

I was wondering if someone could explain to me why it is we dim objects and
long. Where is it important to do and why. I have been puzzled by this. I
have read lots trying to figure this out. What it means and the purpose of
it's application I am strugling with.
--
Thanks!
Shane W

--

Dave Peterson

whylite

dim objects and dim long

So in other words objects is used for naming. I think I get it now. Instead
of having to type so much you can make declarations to shorted key strokes.
Now I use integer a lot in my programming. With long I can shorten this up?
Can you give me an example?

--
Thanks!
Shane W