-   -   Stripping spaces using a formula, not VBA (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-programming/373713-stripping-spaces-using-formula-not-vba.html)

Morris[_2_]

Stripping spaces using a formula, not VBA

I know hwo to do it using VBA but was asked to perform using only
formulaes, so if anyone could help me?

A field in the spreadsheet contains a string built up by up to 8
numbers separated by various numbers of spaces,

eg: "12 45 3 2 12 23 2 "

Now the output needs to be also a string with the numbers, but only
separated by a single space, that is:

"12 45 3 2 12 23 2"

Can you help me with a formula for that ? :)

Thanks in advance!

Ron Rosenfeld

On 26 Sep 2006 04:37:12 -0700, "Morris" wrote:

I know hwo to do it using VBA but was asked to perform using only
formulaes, so if anyone could help me?

A field in the spreadsheet contains a string built up by up to 8
numbers separated by various numbers of spaces,

eg: "12 45 3 2 12 23 2 "

Now the output needs to be also a string with the numbers, but only
separated by a single space, that is:

"12 45 3 2 12 23 2"

Can you help me with a formula for that ? :)

Thanks in advance!

Look at HELP for the TRIM worksheet function.
--ron

Morris[_2_]

Stripping spaces using a formula, not VBA

Look at HELP for the TRIM worksheet function.
--ron

"...or multiple embedded space characters ..."

thanks a lot I would never imagine that TRIM formula works in a
different way than a VBA function.

Thank you :)

Ron Rosenfeld

On 26 Sep 2006 05:50:38 -0700, "Morris" wrote:

Look at HELP for the TRIM worksheet function.
--ron

"...or multiple embedded space characters ..."

thanks a lot I would never imagine that TRIM formula works in a
different way than a VBA function.

Thank you :)

VBA and Excel are really two different products. There are other functions
(e.g. Round) which also work differently in the two programs.
--ron