-   -   Run time error 438 (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-programming/373180-run-time-error-438-a.html)

Brian

Run time error 438

I have XL97 running on Windows 2000. If I have a spreadsheet with a
chart on its own tab, and I switch from a "data" tab to the chart, I get
run time error 438 Object doesn't support this property or method.

Going into Debug, I find it has stopped he

Sub UpdateIt()
Dim iP As Integer
Application.DisplayAlerts = False
For iP = 1 To ActiveSheet.PivotTables.Count <<<<---------
ActiveSheet.PivotTables(iP).RefreshTable
Next
Application.DisplayAlerts = True
End Sub

I didn't write this, so I assume it's part of Excel VB. Has this sub got
changed by mistake? I don't know of anywhere I can check it out.

Any help would be appreciated.

moon[_6_]

Run time error 438

We can simulate this one quite easily.
There must be a Private Sub Workbook_SheetActivate-macro, just check that
out in Visual Basic Editor by clicking on the Workbook object.
In there, you'll probably find 'Call UpdateIt' or just 'UpdateIt'.
So if a chart-tab is clicked and the chart-sheet is activated, error 438
occurs because a chart-sheet can never have a PivotTable.

Remove the call to UpdateIt from the Workbook-macro and add it to the
worksheet object, like:

Private Sub Worksheet_Activate()
Call UpdateIt
End Sub