-   -   Excel Crash and/or Gray Area on Screen (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-programming/372284-excel-crash-gray-area-screen.html)

Sandy

Excel Crash and/or Gray Area on Screen

sometimes when running code I get a situation where either excel crashes and
a portion of the display area is turns gray (about 20%-30% of the viewing
area top to bottom of the screen but not he tool bars) or with a crash the
area turns gray. It is always on the left side of the screen. The only fix is
to close and reopen excel.

Is there a know cause / fix?

Thank you

NLO

Excel Crash and/or Gray Area on Screen

Hi,
Don't know about causes but my quick fix when it happened to me was to
create a macro:

Sub ResetDefaults
Application.Screenupdating = True
End Sub

and to assign a custom button to this on the toolbar. Then when you get this
problem you can run the macro & the screen will update again.

NLO

"Sandy" wrote:

sometimes when running code I get a situation where either excel crashes and
a portion of the display area is turns gray (about 20%-30% of the viewing
area top to bottom of the screen but not he tool bars) or with a crash the
area turns gray. It is always on the left side of the screen. The only fix is
to close and reopen excel.

Is there a know cause / fix?

Thank you

NickHK

Excel Crash and/or Gray Area on Screen

Sandy,
Any specific code that causes this ? Which code ?
Or you mean running any code in general this happens ? Not normal,
possibly video driver/system related.

NickHK

"Sandy" wrote in message
sometimes when running code I get a situation where either excel crashes

and
a portion of the display area is turns gray (about 20%-30% of the viewing
area top to bottom of the screen but not he tool bars) or with a crash the
area turns gray. It is always on the left side of the screen. The only fix

is
to close and reopen excel.

Is there a know cause / fix?

Thank you

Sandy

Excel Crash and/or Gray Area on Screen

Nick - no specific code, sometime no code at all. Happens on multiple systems.
Wish I knew what the cause is and how to fix / avoid it.

"Sandy" wrote in message
sometimes when running code I get a situation where either excel crashes

and
a portion of the display area is turns gray (about 20%-30% of the viewing
area top to bottom of the screen but not he tool bars) or with a crash the
area turns gray. It is always on the left side of the screen. The only fix

is
to close and reopen excel.

Is there a know cause / fix?

Thank you

Sandy

Excel Crash and/or Gray Area on Screen

thanks for this tip - it has happened some more sice and I tried this fix but
it did not work. Any other ideas?

Thanks

"Sandy" wrote:

sometimes when running code I get a situation where either excel crashes and
a portion of the display area is turns gray (about 20%-30% of the viewing
area top to bottom of the screen but not he tool bars) or with a crash the
area turns gray. It is always on the left side of the screen. The only fix is
to close and reopen excel.

Is there a know cause / fix?

Thank you

NickHK

Excel Crash and/or Gray Area on Screen

Sandy,
In that case, I doubt it's Excel related and more system/hardware related.

NickHK