Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Disable save, save as, but allow save via command button

All,

I have been searching through the archives, but can't locate an answer for
this.

I have a command button that when clicked saves the file as the name in cell
B1.
I also want to disable the Save, Save As and save button on the toolbar. To
accomplish that I located the code below. However when I insert that code,
my command button is also disabled. How can I disable the Save, Save As and
save button on the toolbar but still allow my Save button (command button) to
work?

Please help. Thanks

Dim wb As Workbook
Set wb = ActiveWorkbook
Cancel = True
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Create a global variable, then set it to true when you use your command
button Like this:
Dim MySave as Boolean

Sub MySaveMacro()
MySave = True
ActiveWorkbook.SaveAs BlahBlahBlah

Boolean)
Dim wb As Workbook
Set wb = ActiveWorkbook

If Not MySave Then Cancel = True
End Sub

HTH

Charles Chickering

TimN wrote:
All,

I have been searching through the archives, but can't locate an answer for
this.

I have a command button that when clicked saves the file as the name in cell
B1.
I also want to disable the Save, Save As and save button on the toolbar. To
accomplish that I located the code below. However when I insert that code,
my command button is also disabled. How can I disable the Save, Save As and
save button on the toolbar but still allow my Save button (command button) to
work?

Please help. Thanks

Dim wb As Workbook
Set wb = ActiveWorkbook
Cancel = True

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Oops you also need to set the Boolean back to false after you save.
Boolean)
Dim wb As Workbook
Set wb = ActiveWorkbook

If Not MySave Then Cancel = True
MySave = False
End Sub

Charles

TimN wrote:
All,

I have been searching through the archives, but can't locate an answer for
this.

I have a command button that when clicked saves the file as the name in cell
B1.
I also want to disable the Save, Save As and save button on the toolbar. To
accomplish that I located the code below. However when I insert that code,
my command button is also disabled. How can I disable the Save, Save As and
save button on the toolbar but still allow my Save button (command button) to
work?

Please help. Thanks

Dim wb As Workbook
Set wb = ActiveWorkbook
Cancel = True

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Couple of questions:

When you say create a global variable what do i need to do and where do i
define that?
Also, the code:
Dim MySave as Boolean

Sub MySaveMacro()
MySave = True
ActiveWorkbook.SaveAs BlahBlahBlah
End Sub

Does that go in the click event for the command button? And the other code
goes in "This Worbook" under the before Save Event?

Sorry for the dumb questions, I am just trying to sort all this out.

TimN wrote:
All,

I have been searching through the archives, but can't locate an answer for
this.

I have a command button that when clicked saves the file as the name in cell
B1.
I also want to disable the Save, Save As and save button on the toolbar. To
accomplish that I located the code below. However when I insert that code,
my command button is also disabled. How can I disable the Save, Save As and
save button on the toolbar but still allow my Save button (command button) to
work?

Please help. Thanks

Dim wb As Workbook
Set wb = ActiveWorkbook
Cancel = True

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

To create a global variable, create a normal module, then at the very
top, before any other sub routines place the code:
Dim MySave as Boolean
This Dims MySave as a Boolean that can be accessed from anywhere in the
VBProject.
The Code from the "MySaveMacro" can go in your CommandButton_Click
Event. All you are doing is using that Global variable to tell the
"BeforeSave" event that you clicked your button, the way this works is
that all Booleans are defaulted to false when the code runs, in your
CommandButton_Click we set the Boolean to true:
MySave = True
then we tell it to save. This triggers the "BeforeSave" Event, which
with this line:
If Not MySave Then Cancel = True
checks to see if "MySave" has been set to true, if not then cancel the
save. Now we need to reset MySave so that it won't get triggered again
without your button like this:
MySave = False

And yes the Private Sub Workbook_BeforeSave(ByVal SaveAsUI As Boolean,
Cancel As Boolean) code does go in the thisworkbook.

HTH

Charles

TimN wrote:
All,

I have been searching through the archives, but can't locate an answer for
this.

I have a command button that when clicked saves the file as the name in cell
B1.
I also want to disable the Save, Save As and save button on the toolbar. To
accomplish that I located the code below. However when I insert that code,
my command button is also disabled. How can I disable the Save, Save As and
save button on the toolbar but still allow my Save button (command button) to
work?

Please help. Thanks

Dim wb As Workbook
Set wb = ActiveWorkbook
Cancel = True

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

OK,

I made the changes and I get a Compile Error Variable not defined. It
highlights the line "MySave = True" in the command button click event. What
am I doing wrong??