-   -   Preserving HTML Column Widths in Excel (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-programming/371516-preserving-html-column-widths-excel.html)

Tim Attaway

Preserving HTML Column Widths in Excel

I have a web application that needs to export portions of certain pages to
Excel. To accomplish this I am generating the appropriate file with
properly-formatted HTML and downloading them. It all works except that the
column widths specified in the HTML are not being respected by Excel. I
tried creating a simple HTML file on my local system, saving it both as an
HTML file and as an XLS file. When I open the HTML file with IE it is
formatted correctly. When I open the XLS file with Excel, again the column
widths are not respected. A simple example is included below.

Is there a way to get Excel to properly recognize the column widths
specified in the HTML? Thanks in advance for your help.

"http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd"
<head
<titleUntitled Document</title
</head