-   -   Editing Shortcut files (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-programming/369332-editing-shortcut-files.html)

fred

Editing Shortcut files

Does anyone know how I can create and edit a shortcut file in VB.
I am trying to create a shortcut to a workbook and then edit the 'start in:'
field of the shortcut

Thanks
Fred

Steve Yandl

Editing Shortcut files

The following example using the WScript shell object creates a shortcut to
the workbook the macro is in and sets the 'Start In' (working directory) to
C:\Scripts.

strWkbkTgt = ThisWorkbook.Path & "\" & ThisWorkbook.Name

Set objWSH = CreateObject("WScript.Shell")
strDesktop = objWSH.SpecialFolders("Desktop")

Set objLink = objWSH.CreateShortcut(strDesktop & "\" & ThisWorkbook.Name &
".lnk")
objLink.TargetPath = strWkbkTgt
objLink.WorkingDirectory = "C:\Scripts"
objLink.Save

Steve

"Fred" <leavemealone@home wrote in message
Does anyone know how I can create and edit a shortcut file in VB.
I am trying to create a shortcut to a workbook and then edit the 'start
in:' field of the shortcut

Thanks
Fred

fred

Editing Shortcut files

Thanks Steve, that works perfectly.

Fred

"Steve Yandl" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

You're welcome. The object also lets you set WindowStyle, HotKey, and
IconLocation (icon choice) for the shortcut but I've never found any of them
important enough to include in routines I write.