-   -   excel and data access (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-programming/366470-excel-data-access.html)

k2sarah

excel and data access

i have an excel file which i distribute to other people in the organization.
i will like to also distribute either an access database or sql express
database, and then have an excel add-in query the database. will this work,
if my end users do not have either access or sql server?

thks
ken

Tom Ogilvy

excel and data access

Excel can access an MDB file without having Access installed. I have no
knowledge of sql express.

Tom Ogilvy

"k2sarah" wrote:

i have an excel file which i distribute to other people in the organization.
i will like to also distribute either an access database or sql express
database, and then have an excel add-in query the database. will this work,
if my end users do not have either access or sql server?

thks
ken

witek

excel and data access

k2sarah wrote:
i have an excel file which i distribute to other people in the organization.
i will like to also distribute either an access database or sql express
database, and then have an excel add-in query the database. will this work,
if my end users do not have either access or sql server?

Yes. For both
You can distribute mdb file, and excel can read data using oledb.

Could you explain whah you mean 'distribute sql express database?