-   -   Column number (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-programming/366273-column-number.html)

Faby

Column number

How can I retrieve the column number of a cell in a specific row.
ie i want to get the column number of a cell in row 3 that holds the
value "successful" for instance
Thanks
Faby

Paul Lautman

Column number

Faby wrote:
How can I retrieve the column number of a cell in a specific row.
ie i want to get the column number of a cell in row 3 that holds the
value "successful" for instance
Thanks
Faby

If you are searching the row for a specific value then use the MATCH
worksheet function using the row itself as the lokup array. The MATCH
function will return the offset at which the value was found.

Faby

Column number

Alleluia!!Thank you Norman, it works!
Thanks a lot
Faby

Don Guillett

Column number

in simplest form
Sub findcol()
mc = Rows(2).Find("a").Column
MsgBox mc

Don Guillett
SalesAid Software

"Faby" wrote in message
ups.com...
How can I retrieve the column number of a cell in a specific row.
ie i want to get the column number of a cell in row 3 that holds the
value "successful" for instance
Thanks
Faby

Norman Jones

Column number

Hi Faby,

A slightly better version would be:

'=============
Public Sub Tester()
Dim rng As Range
Dim col As Long
Const rw As Long = 8
Const sFindText As String = "successful"

Set rng = Rows(rw).Find(What:=sFindText, _
After:=Rows(rw).Cells(1), _
LookIn:=xlFormulas, _
LookAt:=xlPart, _
SearchOrder:=xlByColumns, _
SearchDirection:=xlNext)
If Not rng Is Nothing Then
col = rng.Column
MsgBox col
Else
MsgBox """" & sFindText & """ not found in row " & rw

'<<=============

---
Regards,
Norman

"Faby" wrote in message
ups.com...
Alleluia!!Thank you Norman, it works!
Thanks a lot
Faby

Faby

Column number

Hi all,
Thanks a lot for all your answers. I like your short version,
Don.Thanks
Faby