-   -   Logon Dialog prior to Open Database connection (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-programming/365774-logon-dialog-prior-open-database-connection.html)

Mike

Logon Dialog prior to Open Database connection

Hi,

I'm using this code to open a database connection using ADODB inside VBA.
What I would like to have is a dialog so that users must enter their
username, password and DSN name. I don't like to have this information
written in the code. I know that I can protect the code but still since there
are several users using the same sheet. It will be easier for me to maintain
it.

Thanks

Public db as new ADODB.Connection

sub test()

db.open "DSN name", "Username", "Password"

end sub

Mark Driscol[_2_]

Logon Dialog prior to Open Database connection

You can set up a UserForm with Textboxes on it to capture the
information, and then use the user entries in your code.

Mark

Mike wrote:
Hi,

I'm using this code to open a database connection using ADODB inside VBA.
What I would like to have is a dialog so that users must enter their
username, password and DSN name. I don't like to have this information
written in the code. I know that I can protect the code but still since there
are several users using the same sheet. It will be easier for me to maintain
it.

Thanks

Public db as new ADODB.Connection

sub test()

db.open "DSN name", "Username", "Password"

end sub

Mike

Logon Dialog prior to Open Database connection

Yes, OK I know that I can use a Sheet and on that draw a Form with textboxes.
What I would like to have instead is a popupdialog where they enter user
information.

Do you know if it's possible?

//Mike

Mike wrote:
Hi,

I'm using this code to open a database connection using ADODB inside VBA.
What I would like to have is a dialog so that users must enter their
username, password and DSN name. I don't like to have this information
written in the code. I know that I can protect the code but still since there
are several users using the same sheet. It will be easier for me to maintain
it.

Thanks

Public db as new ADODB.Connection

sub test()

db.open "DSN name", "Username", "Password"

end sub

Mark Driscol[_2_]

Logon Dialog prior to Open Database connection

Mike, a UserForm does "pop up". You put your Textbox controls on the
UserForm, not a Worksheet.

If you want more information on UserForms, you could see, for example,
one of John Walkenbach's Power Programming books for Excel.

Mark

Mike wrote:
Hi,

I'm using this code to open a database connection using ADODB inside VBA.
What I would like to have is a dialog so that users must enter their
username, password and DSN name. I don't like to have this information
written in the code. I know that I can protect the code but still since there
are several users using the same sheet. It will be easier for me to maintain
it.

Thanks

Public db as new ADODB.Connection

sub test()

db.open "DSN name", "Username", "Password"

end sub

Mike

Logon Dialog prior to Open Database connection

Thanks, I will have a look at that.