-   -   Searching Database (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-programming/365550-searching-database.html)

merritts[_3_]

Searching Database

Hi,

I have two seperate excel files (file1: inventory.xls, file2:order.xls
each with two columns (col a: part #, col b: quantity). Using the par
# from order.xls i would like to search inventory.xls for the same par
# and add/subtract the respective numeric quantities.

*the part# is a combination of letters and numbers, roughly AAAA####

Thank

--
merritt
merritts's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...fo&userid=3580

Mark Driscol[_2_]

Searching Database

You could put something like this formula in Cell C1 or order.xls.

=SUMIF('[Inventory.xls]Sheet1'!$A:$A,A1,'[Inventory.xls]Sheet1'!$B:$B)

Mark

merritts wrote:
Hi,

I have two seperate excel files (file1: inventory.xls, file2:order.xls)
each with two columns (col a: part #, col b: quantity). Using the part
# from order.xls i would like to search inventory.xls for the same part
# and add/subtract the respective numeric quantities.

*the part# is a combination of letters and numbers, roughly AAAA####

Thanks

--
merritts
merritts's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=35803

merritts[_4_]

Searching Database

mark,

I was hoping to add other functions later and would like to implemen
it through macros. Is this possible?

Thanks,
Andre