-   -   validation? VBA? Lookup table? (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-programming/363448-validation-vba-lookup-table.html)

Ivar LeNoir

validation? VBA? Lookup table?

Hi,

I have a problem that I thought would be simple to solve, but I'm
having a little diffuculty with it.

I have a range of values that I want to pick from a drop-down list.
I've been using a named list with validation for this. It works swell.
The data are just text which represent time sheet codes (i.e. RT, SDR,
etc).

Now I'd like to be able to have the drop-down list contain the actual
descriptions of the time codes, and when selected, fill in the time
code itself (i.e. the list contains "Regular Time", "Sheduled Day of
Rest", but when selected, RT or SDR is what appears in the cell).

Can I still use validation for this? Do I need to know more about
Visual Basic? Can someone help me out? Thanks!