-   -   Data, Validation, List always starts at the bottom? (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-programming/362962-data-validation-list-always-starts-bottom.html)

Simon Lloyd[_752_]

Data, Validation, List always starts at the bottom?

Hi all,

I have some cells which have Data Validation Lists associated with
them, the trouble is when i click on them they always start at the
bottom of the list or at blanks i left on the list for future use is
there anyway around this?

Regards,

Simon

--
Simon Lloyd
Simon Lloyd's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...fo&userid=6708

schoujar[_20_]

Data, Validation, List always starts at the bottom?

Can u post what statement you are using for the list in the data
validation?
That will help me determine what the exact problem is.

cheers

Sahil

--
schoujar
schoujar's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=26574

Debra Dalgleish

Data, Validation, List always starts at the bottom?

Your current data validation list contains blanks, and when the Data
Validation dropdown is opened, it finds a match to the current content
of the cell. It selects the first blank in the dropdown list, because it
is a match for the blank in the cell. To prevent this, you could fill
the cell with the first item from the list, as a default value.

Or, you can use a named dynamic range as the source. There are
instructions he

http://www.contextures.com/xlNames01.html

Simon Lloyd wrote:
Hi all,

I have some cells which have Data Validation Lists associated with
them, the trouble is when i click on them they always start at the
bottom of the list or at blanks i left on the list for future use is
there anyway around this?

Regards,

Simon

--
Debra Dalgleish
Contextures
http://www.contextures.com/tiptech.html

Simon Lloyd[_762_]

Data, Validation, List always starts at the bottom?

Hi Debra,

i followed the instructions at your Contextures page however, the name
range was no longer available in my list and the dropdown arrow in th
cell would not do anything, so i couldn't choose from the list i ha
validated for the cell!

Any ideas?

Regards,
Simo