-   -   Counting only if multiple cells match up (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-programming/362835-counting-only-if-multiple-cells-match-up.html)

Eric

Counting only if multiple cells match up

I work with maintenance in the military and I am trying to setup an easier
way to keep a running total for broken vehicles. I am trying to setup my
worksheet to where it will count the number of times multiple cells in a row
match up. For example

SHEET 1:

A B C
1 VEH STATUS COMPANY
2 M1 X ALPHA
3 M1 X HHB
4 M109 X ALPHA

SHEET 2
A B C D E
1 HHB ALPHA
2 OH FMC OH FMC
3 M1 5 4 5 4
4 M109 8 8 8 7

The formual needs to happen in 'sheet 2'!C3:D3 and 'sheet 2'!C3:D3.
I'm new to the If, and Count Formulas and I'm having trouble getting this
one to work. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
Eric

Jim Thomlinson

Counting only if multiple cells match up

You probably need a sumproduct formula. here is an excellent resource.

HTH...

Jim Thomlinson

"Eric" wrote:

[...]

MartinShort[_3_]

Counting only if multiple cells match up

Not easy to see what you want from the explanation!

But...

You probably want to use a Pivot Table. If you've never used them, try
something like

http://www.geocities.com/jonpeltier/...ivottables.htm for an
explanation.

What makes your situation different, is that you need to create a
composite key for each entry. Can I suggest creating a new column eg
A1 = B1&C1&D1 etc.

--
MartinShort

Software Tester