-   -   Using the result of a cell's formula as an argument within a running macro? / More (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-programming/362476-using-result-cells-formula-argument-within-running-macro-more.html)

Worldman1

Using the result of a cell's formula as an argument within a running macro? / More

Hi to AP and All,

The procedure below adds a thick border to the bottom of my varaible
array. I want to replace the fixed range "Range("C13:M14").Select"
with the
variable string returned by my formula in R4 using the same approach as
in:
"ActiveSheet.PageSetup.PrintArea = Range("R5").value"

I'm having a problem to get the syntax right. More help please! /
thanks again! :-)

Range("C13:M14").Select
Selection.Borders(xlDiagonalDown).LineStyle = xlNone
Selection.Borders(xlDiagonalUp).LineStyle = xlNone
Selection.Borders(xlEdgeLeft).LineStyle = xlNone
Selection.Borders(xlEdgeTop).LineStyle = xlNone
Selection.Borders(xlEdgeBottom).LineStyle = xlNone
Selection.Borders(xlEdgeRight).LineStyle = xlNone
Selection.Borders(xlInsideVertical).LineStyle = xlNone
With Selection.Borders(xlInsideHorizontal)
.LineStyle = xlContinuous
.Weight = xlThick
.ColorIndex = xlAutomatic
End With
End Sub

Jim Thomlinson

Using the result of a cell's formula as an argument within a runni

So if I understand correctly you have a value in R4 such as A1:A10...?
Assuming that to be the case then I would go with something like this...

with Range(Range("R4").value)
.borders.lineslyle = xlNone 'This removes all borders at once
.Borders(xlInsideHorizontal).LineStyle = xlContinuous
.Borders(xlInsideHorizontal).Weight = xlThick
.Borders(xlInsideHorizontal).ColorIndex = xlAutomatic
end with

This all assumes that the value in R4f will be a valid address. If it is
possible that it will not be valid you need to verify that before hand. If
you need help with that then let me know.

--
HTH...

Jim Thomlinson

"Worldman1" wrote:

[...]

Thanks Jim,
That's great, we both understood each other perfectly!

another similar procedure I'm struggling with -

Cell B1 contains a variable cell reference, for example "E:14"
I want to copy contents of cell $E$4 to the cell reference pointed to
in the above

Can't make it work - more help would be appreciated . . .

(where can I find a comprehensive syntax guide?)

Thanks again .

RonW.