-   -   Font Color Index / Name Source (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-programming/361496-font-color-index-name-source.html)

Neal Zimm

Font Color Index / Name Source

I have a need to display font color names by feeding the color index number
to "something". When I hold the mouse on a color in the palette the name
displays. Is there a source accessable by VBA or do I have to build a
procedure or function on my own?

Thanks.
--
Neal Z

Norman Jones

Font Color Index / Name Source

Hi Neil,

See:

http://tinyurl.com/lm8ns

---
Regards,
Norman

"Neal Zimm" wrote in message
I have a need to display font color names by feeding the color index number
to "something". When I hold the mouse on a color in the palette the name
displays. Is there a source accessable by VBA or do I have to build a
procedure or function on my own?

Thanks.
--
Neal Z

Bob Phillips[_14_]

Font Color Index / Name Source

No, it is not readily accessible. I suggested this once before, not
infallible but it works (sort of).

CommandBars("Formatting").Controls("&Fill Color").TooltipText

--
HTH

Bob Phillips

"Neal Zimm" wrote in message
I have a need to display font color names by feeding the color index

number
to "something". When I hold the mouse on a color in the palette the name
displays. Is there a source accessable by VBA or do I have to build a
procedure or function on my own?

Thanks.
--
Neal Z

Jim Cone

Font Color Index / Name Source

I've just written an Excel add-in (Determine Colors) that creates a new
menu on the cell right-click popup menu. It lists cell color, font color and
cell address. I am looking for feedback and trying to determine if there
is any demand for it. I anticipate it would be a giveaway program.
Email me if you want to give it a try...
XX
(remove xxx)
--
Jim Cone
San Francisco, USA

"Neal Zimm"
wrote in message
I have a need to display font color names by feeding the color index number
to "something". When I hold the mouse on a color in the palette the name
displays. Is there a source accessable by VBA or do I have to build a
procedure or function on my own?
Thanks.
Neal Z

Neal Zimm

Font Color Index / Name Source

Thanks, their solutions are pretty close to mine. I built a string array
indexed by the colorindex number to return a string containing the name. I
filled in the "missing" numbers with a dummy color name called "Invalid".

to get the names i just recorded a macro click on each one of the colors in
the font palette.

good enough for me.

--
Neal Z

"Norman Jones" wrote:

Hi Neil,

See:

http://tinyurl.com/lm8ns

---
Regards,
Norman

"Neal Zimm" wrote in message
I have a need to display font color names by feeding the color index number
to "something". When I hold the mouse on a color in the palette the name
displays. Is there a source accessable by VBA or do I have to build a
procedure or function on my own?

Thanks.
--
Neal Z

Neal Zimm

Font Color Index / Name Source

Thanks, but I built an array that works well enough for me.
--
Neal Z

"Neal Zimm" wrote in message
I have a need to display font color names by feeding the color index

number
to "something". When I hold the mouse on a color in the palette the name
displays. Is there a source accessable by VBA or do I have to build a
procedure or function on my own?

Thanks.
--
Neal Z

Neal Zimm

Font Color Index / Name Source

Hi Jim-
Thanks for the offer. I may try it out in a couple of weeks. For my needs
now, it would be overkill. I just built a string array indexed by the
font.colorindex number and it works well enough for me.
--
Neal Z

wrote in message
I have a need to display font color names by feeding the color index number
to "something". When I hold the mouse on a color in the palette the name
displays. Is there a source accessable by VBA or do I have to build a
procedure or function on my own?
Thanks.
Neal Z

Jim Cone

Font Color Index / Name Source

You might want to customize some workbook colors and also change
the font in a cell so that the text uses two or more colors; then test
your code.
--
Jim Cone
San Francisco, USA

wrote in message
I have a need to display font color names by feeding the color index number
to "something". When I hold the mouse on a color in the palette the name
displays. Is there a source accessable by VBA or do I have to build a
procedure or function on my own?
Thanks.
Neal Z

Peter T

Font Color Index / Name Source

Just to add, Jim's suggestion is worth following up should your function
need to work with a non default palette, as the method you described will
return wrong colours. Try swapping red and yellow and test.

With ActiveWorkbook
.Colors(3) = vbYellow
.Colors(6) = vbRed
End With