Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default VBA Code to Return Text Embeded in the VLOOKUP Function

I am trying to use the VLOOKUP Function to look up values from different
workbooks. Instead of manually typing in the "table_array", I want the
"table_array" to be specified in a cell, and am trying to use an embedded
Text Function to return the "table_arraray€¯ from that cell.

For example, suppose cell A1 of Workbook 1 specifies the "table_array",
which is contained in Workbook 2, as: 'C:\Example\[Workbook
2.xls]Example'!$A$1:$G$100

The formula that I have been using is: VLOOKUP(B5,TEXT(A1,""),3,FALSE)

However, this returns an error because the TEXT(A1,"") formula returns the
table_array as "'C:\Example\[Workbook 2.xls]Example'!$A$1:$G$100", instead of
the above. This generates an error, because the formula returns parentheses
at the beginning and end of the "table_array" (I can see that by clicking on
"Show Calculation Steps"). I cant think of a way to remove those
parentheses. Maybe there is a way to use VBA code to create a function that
would return the contents of cell A1 without the parentheses.

If you can think of a way to accomplish this, please let me know. Any
assistance you provide would be GREATLY appreciated.

Magnivy