-   -   Filling dropdown values from remote xml file (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-programming/357095-filling-dropdown-values-remote-xml-file.html)

anjanesh[_4_]

Filling dropdown values from remote xml file

Hi

I need to make one cell a drop down. This drop down will be filled with
values that is to be retrieved from the net as an XML file. I can figure
out how to parse the XML because there are enough functions to do that
using .NET but how do I get the url content in the macro ?
Also, is .NET supported in macros ? It would be a lot easier if it is.

Thanks

--
anjanesh

Freelance Developer
anjanesh's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=27132
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=526272

Fountainhead[_3_]

anjanesh Wrote:
Hi

I need to make one cell a drop down. This drop down will be filled with
values that is to be retrieved from the net as an XML file. I can figure
out how to parse the XML because there are enough functions to do that
using .NET but how do I get the url content in the macro ?
Also, is .NET supported in macros ? It would be a lot easier if it is.

Thanks

Have you considered creating a reference to Excel in your project then
making the calls directly from .Net?

--
Fountainhead
Fountainhead's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=32825

Tim Williams

Filling dropdown values from remote xml file

..NET isn't supported in macros: VBA is the only option there.

How many values are in the drop-down? If not too many you could use a
validation list and enter the values directly: if more then you could dump
the values onto a hidden sheet and use a named range in the validation list.

Tim

"anjanesh" wrote in
message ...

Hi

I need to make one cell a drop down. This drop down will be filled with
values that is to be retrieved from the net as an XML file. I can figure
out how to parse the XML because there are enough functions to do that
using .NET but how do I get the url content in the macro ?
Also, is .NET supported in macros ? It would be a lot easier if it is.

Thanks

--
anjanesh

Freelance Developer
anjanesh's Profile:
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=526272

anjanesh[_5_]

Filling dropdown values from remote xml file

Fountainhead - Im actually looking for a macro and not using VB .NET and
embedding the xls into it. I thought the framework alone would do make
NET macros !
Tim - the dropdown will be taken from a remote xml file which I shall
parse and display. This xml file changes over time - that why I wanted
to have this macro connect to the net.

--
anjanesh

Freelance Developer
anjanesh's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=27132
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=526272

Tim Williams

Filling dropdown values from remote xml file

There are a number of methods you could use in order to fetch the xmlfile
Eg.

API call
XMLHttp object

Lots of examples on both via google

Eg:

Function GetContent(sURL As String) As String
Dim oXHTTP As New MSXML2.XMLHTTP

oXHTTP.Open "GET", sURL, False
oXHTTP.send
GetContent = oXHTTP.responseXML
End Function

Tim

"anjanesh" wrote in
message ...

Fountainhead - Im actually looking for a macro and not using VB .NET and
embedding the xls into it. I thought the framework alone would do make
NET macros !
Tim - the dropdown will be taken from a remote xml file which I shall
parse and display. This xml file changes over time - that why I wanted
to have this macro connect to the net.

--
anjanesh

Freelance Developer
anjanesh's Profile:
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=526272

anjanesh[_6_]

Filling dropdown values from remote xml file

Thanks Tim fot the XMLHttp example.

I just wish .NET was allowed in excel macros - it makes a lot of things
easier.
How abt RegExp in VBA ? I know there is one class in .NET which can do
the parsing ? But would it be possible in VBA ?

BTW, does Office 12 by any chance support .NET in macros ?

--
anjanesh

Freelance Developer
anjanesh's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=27132
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=526272

Tim Williams

Filling dropdown values from remote xml file

VBscript has a regexp object you can use from VBA. Eg:

http://authors.aspalliance.com/brett...xpressions.asp

Don't know about Office 12 but I would suspect any language other than VBA
will have to be placed in a dll.

Tim.

"anjanesh" wrote in
message ...

Thanks Tim fot the XMLHttp example.

I just wish .NET was allowed in excel macros - it makes a lot of things
easier.
How abt RegExp in VBA ? I know there is one class in .NET which can do
the parsing ? But would it be possible in VBA ?

BTW, does Office 12 by any chance support .NET in macros ?

--
anjanesh

Freelance Developer
anjanesh's Profile:
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=526272

anjanesh[_7_]

Filling dropdown values from remote xml file

Thanks Tim for your reply.
Don't know about Office 12 but I would suspect any language other than
VBA will have to be placed in a dll. - the .NET framework is compatible on all version of Windows. Its

easier to integrate .NET code (when excel supports it) because no dlls
or other files need to be installed / copied - the framework alone will
do.