Justin Philips

I don't know if this is possible but I was hoping it is. I am trying
to make a loading status bar appear while my data is being saved in
access. With large queries it sometimes takes a while and I want the
user to know that it is ben exported. Does anyone know of a way to
have a status bar with the percentage complete appear while the
exporting is taking place? Does this make sense?

-Justin

kevindmorgan

I don't know about the progress bar, but when I have this situation, I
put a message box in letting the user know that it will take a while.

--
kevindmorgan
kevindmorgan's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=32232

darlove

Justin Philips wrote:
I don't know if this is possible but I was hoping it is. I am trying
to make a loading status bar appear while my data is being saved in
access. [...]

Hi,

take a look at 'Microsoft Excel 2000 Power Programming with VBA' by
John Walkenbach or its later versions by the same author (you can find
it on the Web as a pdf file ;-). He gives very cute pieces of code that
will do all the black work for you and you will be - I promise - very,
very happy with the final product you'll arrive at. You'll get a very
professional-looking loading status bar (fully customizable, of
course). I would give you the code but unfortunatelly it requires to
build a (very simple, indeed) form, so it would take too much to
explain in here.

Kind regards
Darlove

Ken McLennan[_3_]

G'day there Justin, Darlove, and all others,

take a look at 'Microsoft Excel 2000 Power Programming with VBA' by
John Walkenbach or its later versions by the same author (you can find
it on the Web as a pdf file ;-). He gives very cute pieces of code that
will do all the black work for you and you will be - I promise - very,
very happy with the final product you'll arrive at. You'll get a very
professional-looking loading status bar (fully customizable, of
course). I would give you the code but unfortunatelly it requires to
build a (very simple, indeed) form, so it would take too much to
explain in here.

I can thoroughly recommend John Walkenbach's books. I have the
2003 iteration of the above title right here alongside me atop a dead
'pooter case. It's a well worn tome.

Be that as it may, the above is 100% correct. The code provided is
spot on, extremely simple to adapt to requirements and works marvelously
well. My last project included a simple call to the appropriate
subroutine as my main loop progressed. The provided me with a very
professional looking progress bar that did all the right things. Quite
impressed I was. I'm now awaiting the world wide acclaim I believe I'm
entitled to in the category of "Magnificent Use of Code Written by
Someone Who Knows Far More About the Subject Than I Do".

It will probably be the easiest and most efficient way to get a
progress bar that you will find anywhere.

See ya
Ken McLennan
Qld, Australia

Justin Philips

hey all,

thanks for the help...does anyone know where i can find an online
version of this...i've been searching but to no avail...is it only
available as a hardcopy.

-Justin

darlove

Hi again,

Well, perhaps there is somewhere on the Web, on some page, a pdf
version of the book... but
I doubt it for reasons you should have already guessed ;-) What I'd
suggest is that you get yourself a copy of
eMule or eDonkey and... dive into the marvellous world of free pdf
files and many, many more :) Of course, such books like this one are
NOT AVAILABLE on-line unless there is an option of pay-and-download.
But there is no such
option this time, unfortunately, simply because such a book is too
valuable and the author, hats off before him!, has
to get his money for the indeed hard work he's done.

Darlove