-   -   Workbook_Open event not firing for Excel2K (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-programming/353269-workbook_open-event-not-firing-excel2k.html)

John Keith[_2_]

Workbook_Open event not firing for Excel2K

I have a sheet originally developed with Excel2002 using the Auto_Open routine.
I then found that I needed to make this project work with the older version.

why wont this work?
*** in ThisWorkbook's module ***
Sub Worksheet_Open()
Stop 'for test
Auto_Open
End Sub
Sub WorkSheet_Close()
Stop 'for test
Auto_Close
End Sub

*** in a standard module ***
Public Sub Auto_Open()

Public Sus Auto_Close()

I have put "stops" in the code to verify that the routines are never getting
control.
I am forced to first open Excel2000 then load the sheet because excel2002 is
the version that is auto launched on dbl-click of a XLS file. (and the
Auto_'s work perfectly in that version.)

John

John Keith[_2_]

Workbook_Open event not firing for Excel2K

thought i found the error of my ways.. But
Sub Workbook_Open()
Stop
Auto_Open
End Sub
Sub Workbook_Close()
Stop
Auto_Close
End Sub
Doesn't work either...
John

"John Keith" wrote:

[...]

Norman Jones

Workbook_Open event not firing for Excel2K

Hi John,

Sub Workbook_Close()

There is no Workbook_Close event. This should be:

What is your purpose in calling the ealier Auto_Open and Auto_Close instead
of simply using the Workbook_Open and Workbook_beforeClose events?

---
Regards,
Norman

"John Keith" wrote:

[...]

this helped...

I then realized my macros where diabled too.
Since my digital signature had been wiped from the project (i edited on a
user's PC and forgot to re-attach it on my PC) Security setting HIGH was
disabling macros from running.

Now the events work fine.. and I dont need the ThisWorkbook modules
(although the link above says I need to start using events instead of the
Auto_open style)
John

"John Keith" wrote:

[...]

Hi Norman,

I was using the Workbook_open and _close because I was mistakenly on the
path that excel2003 supported the Auto_open _close style and that excel2000
did not. After reading Chip's link page about events I discovered that I was
wrong about that. My whole problem with the open event was that ALL my
macros were disabled and I didnt realize it. So I took out the event code
in ThisWorkbook's module and I am using the older style in my application
now. Old habits die hard!

What advantages have you found to using the Event routines as opposed to the
Auto_ type routines?

John