-   -   urgent! need to find "," in number (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-programming/352443-urgent-need-find-number.html)

vbastarter

urgent! need to find "," in number

Hi I need to find out if a number cell in a cloumn contains "," and the fire
a msgbox
i need to fire msgbox when i come across cell containg value 31,205

Usually, i would use instr or other string functions but being a number,
thosse strigs are not working .

Any help appreciated.

Chip Pearson

urgent! need to find "," in number

Use the Text property of the range, not the Value property. E.g.,

Debug.Print InStr(Range("A1").Text, ",")

--
Cordially,
Chip Pearson

"vbastarter" wrote in
message
Hi I need to find out if a number cell in a cloumn contains ","
and the fire
a msgbox
i need to fire msgbox when i come across cell containg value
31,205

Usually, i would use instr or other string functions but being
a number,
thosse strigs are not working .

Any help appreciated.

Nick Hodge

urgent! need to find "," in number

I'd wonder before starting this whether the ',' isn't actually in the format
and not the value of the cell. If it's in the actual cell data then it will
be a string search

Excel may display 31,205, but it will actually be storing 31025 so looking
for the ',' will not work. Check this out by highlighting the cell and
looking at the value stored in the formula bar

--
HTH
Nick Hodge

"vbastarter" wrote in message
Hi I need to find out if a number cell in a cloumn contains "," and the
fire
a msgbox
i need to fire msgbox when i come across cell containg value 31,205

Usually, i would use instr or other string functions but being a number,
thosse strigs are not working .

Any help appreciated.

Gregg Roberts

urgent! need to find "," in number

Hi I need to find out if a number cell in a cloumn contains "," ...
i need to fire msgbox when i come across cell containg value 31,205
...string functions ... are not working .

Can you test for the number being 999 and the cell formatting's
NumberFormat containing ","?

Gregg Roberts

Rajan Lengde

urgent! need to find "," in number