-   -   Converting Text dates into dates (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-programming/351022-converting-text-dates-into-dates.html)

EAB1977

Converting Text dates into dates

Hello everyone,

I am having a issue that I hope someone can help me with

I have a Excel sheet that, when completed, uploads to a Lotus Notes
database and the proper recipients are notified. I am having some
trobule converting the text dates into real dates. The code works about
90% of the time, but I would like it to work ALL the time.

The text dates can have 3 dates.

1/1/2006 = 8 chrs
1/11/2006 = 9 chrs
11/11/2006 = 10 chrs

To convert this to useable dates, I do the following:

datFirst = Trim(Left(Range("C6").Value, 10))
datLast = Trim(Right(Range("C6").Value, 10))

....because the dates can look like this:

1/1/2006 to 11/11/2006

When I use the code as typed, I get a data error that there is a Type
Mismatch, and I know why that is since if you take the first part of
the code (datFirst), it would come out as 1/1/2006 t.

Is there anyway I can eliminate this? Or am I S.O.L.?

Arvi Laanemets

Converting Text dates into dates

Hi

Select the range with dates. Format as General. From Data menu, select (with
dates range remaining selected) TextToColumns. Finish.

Arvi Laanemets

"EAB1977" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Gary''s Student

Converting Text dates into dates

Another solution is to use =DATEVALUE() function in the worksheet. It does a
very good job of converting text strings into dates.

Just be sure to format the cell containing the function as date.
--
Gary''s Student