-   -   Dynamic SQL Query (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-programming/350694-dynamic-sql-query.html)

fazstp

Dynamic SQL Query

Is it possible to execute a query independant of a worksheet? For
example to run a query that will return data to a variable?

--
fazstp
fazstp's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=30574

Tim Williams

Dynamic SQL Query

Yes. Look at ADO: this can be used in a macro without any worksheet
involvement.
I'm assuming you mean *database* query (not web query)

--
Tim Williams
Palo Alto, CA

"fazstp" wrote in
message ...

Is it possible to execute a query independant of a worksheet? For
example to run a query that will return data to a variable?

--
fazstp
fazstp's Profile:

View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=502211

Eric White[_2_]

Dynamic SQL Query

Tim's right, ADO is the way to go. Check out:

http://www.access-programmers.co.uk/...ad.php?t=59811

Shows how to return an ADO dataset independent of any other object.

"fazstp" wrote:

Is it possible to execute a query independant of a worksheet? For
example to run a query that will return data to a variable?

--
fazstp
fazstp's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=30574
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=502211

fazstp[_2_]

Dynamic SQL Query

Cool, thanks for that. I'll look into it.

Basically I'm using excel to query an old dos database and the data
returned is too big to fit into a worksheet. I'm hoping to return the
data to a variable so I can sort it into seperate tables.