-   -   Prevent user from overwriting file (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-programming/350429-prevent-user-overwriting-file.html)

peter.thompson[_45_]

Prevent user from overwriting file

I want to prevent a user from ever overwriting a certain file:
"C:\Business Cases\Master Template.xls" i.e. I want to preserve the
integrity of the template.

I also want the user to always save files in the "C:\Business Cases"
folder, which is automatically created the first time the workbook is
opened

Would appreciate any help on the best way of going about this - it's
been a very long day!

Cheers

Peter (...slogging it through VBA)

--
peter.thompson
peter.thompson's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=29686

Carim[_3_]

Prevent user from overwriting file

Hi Peter,

The simplest is to use passwords to save and/or to modify, whenever the
user plays with
your template ...

HTH
Cheers
Carim

peter.thompson[_46_]

Prevent user from overwriting file

Good idea & simple!

Cheers & thanks again

Peter

--
peter.thompson
peter.thompson's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=29686
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=501322

peter.thompson[_47_]

Prevent user from overwriting file

Carim,

How do you set a password that will allow the user to use the template
and save as some other name but not the template name .i.e. are there
'conditional' passwords??

Thanks for all you help today!

Cheers

Peter

--
peter.thompson
peter.thompson's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=29686
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=501322

Peter T

Prevent user from overwriting file

"peter.thompson"
<peter.thompson.21mcty_1137232801.5666@excelforu m-nospam.com wrote in
message news:peter.thompson.21mcty_1137232801.5666@excelfo rum-nospam.com...

I want to prevent a user from ever overwriting a certain file:
"C:\Business Cases\Master Template.xls" i.e. I want to preserve the
integrity of the template.

I also want the user to always save files in the "C:\Business Cases"
folder, which is automatically created the first time the workbook is
opened

Would appreciate any help on the best way of going about this - it's
been a very long day!

Cheers

Peter (...slogging it through VBA)

--
peter.thompson
peter.thompson's Profile:

View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=501322

Peter T

Prevent user from overwriting file

Hi Peter,

Why not save your template as an actual Template, saveas Save as Type
scroll down to template.

When you distribute to your users ensure it's saved in their template's
folder, so all they have to do is File New and select your template.

s = Application.TemplatesPath

It's not straightforward, if indeed possible, to ensure user only saves to a
designated folder. When user clicks Saveas the Beforesave event fires (and
returns SaveAsUI = True), but thereafter user can change name & folder.

Look at ChDir

Regards,