-   -   Remove ' if not followed by two digits (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-programming/349923-remove-if-not-followed-two-digits.html)

tom[_7_]

Remove ' if not followed by two digits

Hi -

I'd like a quick formula that will remove an apostrophe if the
apostrophe is not followed by two digits. Ex:

Original Desired Result
Abe '89 Abe '89
Bye '88 Bye '88
Chie ' Chie
Lead '64 Lead '64
Foloow ' Foloow

What is the quickest way to do this? I'm struggling with
=LEFT(A2,FIND("'",A2) . . .

Thanks for your help.

-Tom

Bernie Deitrick

Remove ' if not followed by two digits

Tom,

For a value in cell A1:

=IF(ISERROR(VALUE(MID(A1,FIND("'",A1)+1,2))),TRIM( SUBSTITUTE(A1,"'","")),A1)

HTH,
Bernie
MS Excel MVP

"tom" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi -

I'd like a quick formula that will remove an apostrophe if the
apostrophe is not followed by two digits. Ex:

Original Desired Result
Abe '89 Abe '89
Bye '88 Bye '88
Chie ' Chie
Lead '64 Lead '64
Foloow ' Foloow

What is the quickest way to do this? I'm struggling with
=LEFT(A2,FIND("'",A2) . . .

Thanks for your help.

-Tom

tom[_7_]

Remove ' if not followed by two digits

Will smarties never cease to amaze me?

Thank you for your help - you're awesome.

-tom