-   -   calculations based upon months (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-programming/349906-calculations-based-upon-months.html)

fascal

calculations based upon months

Hi,
In order to calculate an amount thru the past month, I refernce a cell that
contains the number of months I am including. My calendar runs from July
thru June. So, I have been diving the total by a cell that has the number of
past months on my calendar (6) divided by 12. So my formaula looks like
(=B18/($L$1/12)).

Is there a way that I can reference that 6 out of the 12 months have passed?
Any assistance would be appreciated.

bpeltzer

calculations based upon months

I'm trying to read between the lines here... Are you asking to calculate how
many FULL months have passed from July 1 through today? If so, should days
in the month of July show as 0? If the answers are yes and yes, then
=MOD(MONTH(TODAY()-DAY(TODAY())+1)-7,12)
ought to do it.
If you want to count the elapsed months through yesterday, change both
instances of today() to today()-1.
If you want dates in July to show as 12, I think you can change the ending
from 7,12) to 8,12)+1.
If my interpretation is off, please provide more complete requirements.

"fascal" wrote:

Hi,
In order to calculate an amount thru the past month, I refernce a cell that
contains the number of months I am including. My calendar runs from July
thru June. So, I have been diving the total by a cell that has the number of
past months on my calendar (6) divided by 12. So my formaula looks like
(=B18/($L$1/12)).

Is there a way that I can reference that 6 out of the 12 months have passed?
Any assistance would be appreciated.

fascal

calculations based upon months

Thanks. That is almost it. The formula works great. Will I have to update
the formula monthly?

"fascal" wrote:

Hi,
In order to calculate an amount thru the past month, I refernce a cell that
contains the number of months I am including. My calendar runs from July
thru June. So, I have been diving the total by a cell that has the number of
past months on my calendar (6) divided by 12. So my formaula looks like
(=B18/($L$1/12)).

Is there a way that I can reference that 6 out of the 12 months have passed?
Any assistance would be appreciated.

bpeltzer

calculations based upon months

No; if you had to update it monthly, there wouldn't be much point in
creating the formula. Everytime you open the file, the # of full months
elapsed will be updated based on the system date (retrived by the today()
function).